Join Ben to bake these delicious cookies straight from the TV star’s recipe book!
On a Friday afternoon after a long week of lectures sometimes all you want to do is settle down with a cuppa and a handful of cookies.
This recipe comes from the BBC Good Food website and I followed it pretty strictly (I just added extra chocolate).
It’s one of Claudia Winkleman’s recipes for celebrity Bake Off and it makes dense, rich cookies, that stay fresh for days after baking.
This recipe is super simple, and means you can whip them up on a Friday evening before you head to the pub.
Let me know if you tried baking these
- 50g unsalted butter
- 225g of dark chocolate (although dark is suggested, I used 175g dark and 50g milk)
- 2 eggs
- 170g soft brown sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 85g plain flour
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 225g chocolate chips (I used half and half white and milk, and added an extra 50gs of choc for good measure)
- Preheat the oven to 170C and line two baking trays
- Roughly chop the chocolate. Then put it, and the butter, in a bowl suspended over a pan of water until melted, stirring occasionally. When it has melted remove it from the heat, and allow it to cool for ten minutes (stirring it to make sure it doesn’t set)
- Put the eggs, sugar and vanilla in a separate bowl, and whisk it with an electrical whisk until it is creamy.
- Then beat in the chocolate and butter mixture, tablespoon at a time so the eggs don’t scramble. Once all the chocolate and butter are added beat in the flour, sea salt and baking powder.
- Stir in chocolate chips
- Place small heaps of the mixture on the lined baking tray a few centimeters apart, and bake for 12 minutes, or until they’re ‘soft in the center but set on the outside’.
- Allow to cool, and enjoy.