My friend Thierry told me about the unbelievable French speciality called the Kouign-Amann and how the one made in Dominique Ansel Bakery is tasty. Unfortunately, £4.50 is way too much expensive for me…
But as he said, be “malin-radin”, or better smart-tingy and do it yourself! Therefore, here is my recipe for this amazing piece of French bakery.
- 200g of flour
- 250g of butter
- 200g of sugar
- 10g of salt
- 10g of fresh yeast
- Dilute the fresh yeast
- Add 50g of warm water in order to dissolute the entire yeast
- Add the salt and the flour and mix everything. Add 100g or warm water while mixing.
- Knead the pastry on a clean surface
- Put the pastry in a terrine and cover it with a clean towel
- Let the pastry inflate for one hour and a half/two hours
- Roll out the pastry on a flat surface to its maximum. In the mean time add 50g of flour on the pastry
- Spread the butter on the pastry till 1 or 2 centimetre to the bordure
- Sprinkle the 200g of sugar in a uniform way
- Press the surface so that the sugar goes into the butter
- Fold the pastry three times in the length
- Fold the sides
- Pre heat the hoven at 180°C
- Put the mix in a mould that has been buttered previously
- Add 25g of butter on top
- Cook it for 30/35 minutes at 180°C
If it is still unclear, check out this video!